Assessment, treatment, and prevention of suicidal behavior by Robert I Yufit, David Lester PDF
By Robert I Yufit, David Lester
Present and complete info about the overview and therapy of suicidal people and the prevention of suicidal habit
The 8th best reason behind dying within the usa and the second one best reason between U.S. young people, suicide is exclusive in being self-inflicted and is, as such, usually preventable. via assessing the danger of suicide thoroughly, offering powerful remedy based on this danger, and imposing recommendations opposed to suicidal urges, psychological healthiness pros can effectively advisor their consumers clear of this mindless taking of life.
Assessment, remedy, and Prevention of Suicidal Behavior presents the most up-tp-date and complete resource of data, directions, and case stories for operating with consumers liable to suicide. It bargains clinicians, counselors, and different psychological well-being execs a pragmatic toolbox on 3 major components of interest:
- Screening and overview covers empirically dependent evaluation recommendations and the way they could outline dimensions of vulnerability and degree the chance of self-destructive habit. Authors speak about learn at the use of every screening tool, guidance and proposals for utilizing the device in perform, and a case learn illustrating its application.
- Intervention and therapy compares a number of diversified ways for structuring psychotherapy with suicidal consumers. each one writer covers a psychotherapy procedure, its software to suicidal consumers, and a case research of its real-world use.
- Suicide and Violence explores the connection among suicidal contributors and violence, masking suicide in particular contexts equivalent to university violence, police confrontations, and terrorist violence. This part additionally encompasses a dialogue of the elevated hazard of suicide in our extra insecure and violent global, in addition to how topromote coping kinds for those new anxieties.
whereas addressed regularly to psychologists, social employees, and different psychological health and wellbeing pros to be used in serving their consumers, in addition to scholars of psychology, Assessment, remedy, and Prevention of Suicidal Behavior can be an available and worthwhile source for educators, institution counselors, and others in similar fields.
Read Online or Download Assessment, treatment, and prevention of suicidal behavior PDF
Best mental health books
"This learn actually does have anything for everybody who works with trauma and dissociative strategies. " --American magazine of medical Hypnosis "This quantity, which takes a multi-perspective method of the perform of EMDR and Ego nation remedy, offers a wide selection of how to combine those treatments, either with one another and with different complementary equipment within the therapy of trauma and dissociation.
Normality doesn't equivalent psychological wellbeing and fitness: the necessity to glance somewhere else for criteria of excellent mental well-being is a groundbreaking paintings, the 1st book-length research to question the equation of mental normality and psychological overall healthiness. Its writer, Dr. Steven James Bartlett, musters compelling facts and cautious research to problem the paradigm authorised by way of psychological well-being theorists and practitioners, a paradigm that's not simply improper, yet may be destructive to these to whom it's applied—and to society as a complete.
This publication has been created for sufferers who've made up our minds to make schooling and study a vital part of the remedy approach. even though it additionally offers info invaluable to medical professionals, caregivers and different health and wellbeing pros, it tells sufferers the place and the way to appear for info overlaying nearly all subject matters relating to binge consuming disease (also Binge-purge habit; bulimia nervosa; consuming ailment, Bulimic style; consuming disorders), from the necessities to the main complex components of study.
Michael w. Passer coordinates the introductory psychology application on the college of washington, which enrolls greater than 3,000 scholars according to 12 months. He got his bachelors measure from the college of rochester, his ph. d. From ucla in social psychology, and has been a college member on the collage of washington in view that 1977.
- Treating Depression: MCT, CBT and Third Wave Therapies
- Beyond Reasonable Doubt: Reasoning Processes in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Related Disorders
- The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness
- Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
- Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide
Additional resources for Assessment, treatment, and prevention of suicidal behavior
Cognitive constriction or tunnel vision and polarized or all-or-nothing thinking are cognitive processes that have been most often linked to suicidal ideation. Suicidal individuals have been found to engage in absolutistic or extreme thinking and have been characterized as experiencing difficulty attending to nuances and subtleties (Neuringer, 1961; Neuringer & Lettieri, 1971). They tend to use black-or-white thinking and categorize events and outcomes into polar extremes. Although this approach to understanding events and experiences can be adaptive in that it allows the individual to understand problems in simple terms and thus facilitates rapid responding, it can be maladaptive in that it can lead individuals to view their predicament as more dire than it actually is.
Rather, it can be conceptualized along a continuum from ideation to attempt to completed suicide (Pokorny, 1974). Suicide ideators are individuals who have not made recent overt suicide attempts but who currently think about suicide or have plans and wishes to commit suicide. Research suggests that differences may exist among ideators, attempters, and completers (Beck, 1972; Beck, Weissman, Lester, & Trexler, 1976; Pokorny, 1974), and different risk factors may be associated with each group. Thus, suicide ideators, attempters, and completers may be thought of as discrete and relatively independent groups.
To describe Beck’s scales for assessing mood and suicidality 29 30 Screening and Assessment 3. To provide a brief overview of the research conducted among adult populations using these scales THE PROBLEM OF BASE RATES AND PREDICTION OF SUICIDE The goals of clinical assessment include screening, description of symptoms associated with depression and suicide, diagnosis, determination of symptom severity, evaluation of factors contributing to a patient’s distress as a means of assisting with case formulation, monitoring of treatment gains, prediction of treatment response, and prediction of suicidal behavior.
Assessment, treatment, and prevention of suicidal behavior by Robert I Yufit, David Lester